There are multiple egg diets out there, they vary but the main constant is that they all require to you eat eggs throughout the day. The egg diet is weight loss centric and all of them require you to make a meal with egg at least once a day.
The egg diet is low in calories, low in carbohydrates and high in protein and it is designed for weight loss without losing muscle mass.
Eggs are full of nutrition as they provide protein and vitamin. This diet helps to promotes weight loss, belly fat loss and also reduces insulin resistance.
The diets are quite restrictive making some nutrients absent in the meal plan. It also does not encourage the consumption of snacks and soft drinks and carb heavy foods.
Eating on This Diet
Since there a few egg diets out there, there is no standard egg diet. Depending on the version, it’s required to eat an egg-based meal while some of them require other lean proteins with some fruits and vegetables.
Lean proteins that are encouraged to eat are chicken, lean cuts of pork and fish. Fruits like grapefruit and oranges are also included in at least one of the diets Vegetables that are low carb like mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, and kale are also approved to be consumed.
Eggs are good sources of protein and they also provide several benefits as they are rich in vitamins and minerals. Some of the other advantages of diet are as follows.
The egg diet is attributed to fast weight loss due to its low-calorie intake. It’s also based on ketogenic diet principles which helps to put the body into ketosis fast.
Also studies have shown that the keto diets helps to lose weight, curb appetite, reduce high blood sugar, and improve heart health.
But the egg diet can only last few days depending on the version you follow and that may not be enough to get a massive result, except its followed for a longer time which may not be safe.
Eating eggs can make you feel filled for a long time because they are high in protein. Numerous studies have shown that consuming eggs can keep you fuller for a longer time, which will lead to consuming fewer calories.
Foods that have high protein helps to raise the level of hormones that promote fullness while reducing the level of hormones which promotes hunger.
Helps to Burn Belly Fat.
Ketogenic diets like the egg diet can help you burn belly fat faster than just a low carb diet. Studies have shown that people who were following the ketogenic diet lost more fat than those who were following the low carb diet even when they consumed over 300 calories more.
Although the egg diet may only last few days depending on the plan you follow, so you may not be able to burn much within that short period of time.
Although they may be rich in protein and other nutrients, they are also low in all the important nutrients that are not taken, for this, it is harmful to the body.
Generally, the egg diet is not a healthy long-term diet as it may result to one of these if taken for a longer period of time.
Eggs are known to be common food allergen so anyone who is allergic to eggs would not want to attempt the egg diet.
Reduced Bone Density.
Eggs are low in calcium and when you are not getting enough calcium in the body it can be harmful to individuals as they may cause low bone density.
They are High in Cholesterol
Egg yolks are high in cholesterol, and will be too much intake, when it’s consumed in the high amount recommended in the egg diet plan.
It is advised that individuals with a high risk of heart disease should limit their intake to 1 egg per day.
Eggs are Low in Fiber
It’s recommended by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that men should consume 38 grams of fibre per day while women should consume 25 grams of fibre per day.
However, eggs are naturally fibre free and even if you are eating some fruits and vegetables on the diet, as long as egg is the primary food it will be hard to reach this level.
Fibre is essential for healthy digestion and beyond that, it’s also beneficiary to individuals with diabetes as it regulates Blood sugars in the body. It helps to improve heart health and it also helps to maintain bowel health.
Can Cause Calcium Deficiency
Calcium is a mineral that enhances healthy bones and teeth, and it also plays an important role in blood clotting.
The egg diet doesn’t provide the sources of calcium like diary from milk are not included in the plan. Some versions of the egg diet include other nutrients that meet our needs.
14 Day Boiled Eggs Diet
The 14 day boiled egg diet is a diet plan which encourages the consumption of high amounts of eggs as the only source of proteins, no starchy vegetables along with low carb fruits.
It’s low in calories and carb and has been studied that people on this diet have the potential weight loss of about 25 pounds within 15 days. It’s easy to follow and the meals are quite simple. Here there’s no need for snacks during the day.
The diet includes healthy foods like fresh fruits, sleep, and vegetables which are packed with healthy nutrients antioxidant vitamins and minerals.
It is very helpful to the body it also restricts the intake of food with high calories high carbohydrate sweetened and processed foods.
Following this diet longer than it’s required will result to nutrient deficiencies. Before taking this diet consult your doctor or dietitian.
What you can consume:
- These are list of food you are to consume
- Lean proteins from cut of meat and poultry meat, fish.
- Non-starchy vegetables like bell peppers tomatoes leafy greens broccoli and zucchini
- low carbohydrate fruit like grapefruit, berries, and watermelon.
- Herbs and spices.
- Small amount of healthy fats from coconut oil butter olive
- Healthy drinks unsweetened tea and coffee water heaters
Food to avoid
- Starchy vegetables
- High carb fruits like pineapples banana and mangoes processed foods and sweetened drinks.
Example of 7 days on this diet.
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
- Lunch: salad and chicken will be good
- Dinner: orange, salad, and 2 boiled eggs
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and fruit
- Lunch: steamed vegetables, 2 boiled eggs, and low-fat cheese
- Dinner: steamed chicken and salad would be ok for dinner
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
- Lunch: two boiled eggs and steamed vegetables
- Dinner: salad and fish
- Breakfast: Two boiled eggs and fruits
- Lunch: Chicken and salad
- Dinner: fruits only
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and any citric fruit
- Lunch: Chicken, tomatoes salad and steamed veggies
- Dinner: steamed veggies
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and any citric fruit of your choice
- Lunch: Fruits only
- Dinner: Chicken and salad
- Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and any citric fruit
- Lunch: You take fruits only
- Dinner: Vegetables and chicken
The Egg and Wine Diet
The egg and wine diet was popularized in 1964, and as the name implies, its a weight loss diet plan that emphasizes on egg and wine as it’s main diet. Here, you are expected to eat 3-5 eggs a day plus 24 oz bottle of wine.
This is what the meal plan for the diet looks like
- Breakfast: 1 Hard Boiled Egg and 1 Glass of White Wine. Black Coffee.
- Lunch: 2 Hard Boiled eggs. 2 Glasses of White Wine. Black coffee.
- Dinner: 5oz or 50g Steak Grilled with Black Pepper, Lemon Juice and Remainder of White Wine (1 Bottle is Allowed Per Day) Black Coffee
You consume this layout daily until your target weight is reached or your liver gives out. I do not actually suggest it, although it is interesting.
The Egg and Grapefruit Diet
As the name implies the egg and grapefruit diet is a weight loss diet program which consists of eating grapefruit and boiled eggs. This diet is low in calories and carbohydrate, but rich in protein.
If you want to lose some few pounds, then you can try this diet. Although it’s not safe for a long term try, as it lacks some nutrients which are essential to the body.
In this diet, foods that are high in carbohydrates and natural sugar are not to be consumed.
There’s no need for snacks here just water and other zero calorie drinks.
Here is an example of this diets meal plan for 5 days.
- Breakfast: two boiled eggs and one grapefruit.
- Lunch: 1/2 roast chicken breast, broccoli, and 1/2 grapefruit will be good for lunch.
- Dinner: For dinner, grilled chicken and green salad.
- Breakfast: Veggie omelette with whites eggs.
- Lunch: 2 poached eggs over blanched spinach.
- Dinner: Roast chicken with boiled vegetables
- Breakfast: Sliced strawberries, 1 egg (hard-boiled), 1/2 fresh grapefruit with coffee or tea.
- Lunch: 2 poached eggs with tomatoes.
- Dinner: Salad with any fish of your choice.
- Breakfast: one boiled egg and a glass of grapefruit juice.
- Lunch: Roasted chicken and tomatoes
- Dinner: Grilled steak with salad.
- Breakfast: two boiled eggs and 1/2 grapefruit
- Lunch: a serving of fish and green salad.
- Dinner: two eggs, salad and grapefruit
Egg Fast Diet
The egg fast diet is a form of keto diet. The purpose of this diet is to help your body enter ketosis. You need to eat 50g of carbs or less per day and then the rest of the calories will be gotten from high fat and moderate protein.
The ketogenic diet can aid weight loss fast and has been proven to have other several benefits.
The diet plan can last between three to five days. people can come up with other modifications, but in this diet, these are the most common rules you follow like:
- Eating a whole egg within 30 minutes of waking up
- You are to eat at least six whole eggs per day
- Whole Eggs are going to be the main source of fat and protein.
- Eat an egg-based meal every three to five hours.
- You must eat even if you are not hungry.
- Stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed.
- You must consume about 15 grams of butter or healthy fat per egg consumed.
What to Eat Along With this Plan;
- Lean proteins from fish skinless poultry lean beef lamb pork
- Low-carb vegetables
- Some Fruits
Foods to avoid.
- Sugary foods
- processed foods
- starchy vegetables
- fried foods
Following this diet longer than it is required will lead to several health risks such as deficiencies and constipation.
3-Day Egg Fast Meal Plan.
- Breakfast: For breakfast, 2 eggs fried and 2 tablespoons (which is about 30 grams) of butter with a cup of tea.
- Lunch: For lunch try the leftover slice of crustless cheese quiche
- Dinner: 2–3 devilled eggs is good for your dinner.
- Breakfast: For breakfast, egg and cheese omelette made with two or three eggs, cooked in 2–3 tablespoons (which is about 30–45 grams) of butter
- Lunch: two hard boiled eggs would be ok for lunch
- Dinner: 2–3 eggs cooked in a waffle maker with butter is ok.
- Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with a cup of tea would be a nice idea
- Lunch: egg salad — 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons (which is about 30 grams) of mayonnaise
- Dinner: For dinner, crustless cheese quiche is ok
While the diet may be helpful in losing some few pounds depending on the plan and how long you take it, you should also be cautious as it can cause deficiency in some nutrients which are not included in the meal. Be sure to consult your doctor or dietician before trying this out